Saturday 16 October 2010

Still here... well not here but I'll be back soon ...


Yes, I know. It's been a while... But I have been super busy with my IDC (Instructor Development Course) here in Utila, Bay Islands, Honduras...
And it was totally worth it because now I am a PADI Open Water Instructor, something that I have been dreaming of for a couple of years :)
Now I am training to be instructor in some specialty courses (I already have the Emergency First Response specialty and Oxygen Emergency Provider done)

And yes, I miss my little Grand Turk, the turquoise water, the unbelievable visibility and the sunny days mainly because it has been raining in Utila since before I arrived and it never stopped. Well, it stopped for about half an hour a couple of days but now we are currently waiting hurricane Richard.
It is now at 130 miles of Utila, estimating that will hit the island Sunday morning or noon. Everything almost prepared: food in the fridge, candles around the house, movies to watch (if there is power) and lot of water and other things. Of course, as in any Caribbean island, many people prepared their stock of rum, vodka and beer just in case LOL

Utila is a small island too (7 miles by 2.5 miles), with about but totally bilingual Spanish-English, full of foreigners that are allowed to work with almost no restrictions and and amazing and intense diving activity. Many people come here for training in all levels, so there are divers everywhere.
But yes, there are things of my little Grand Turk that I miss a lot and I want to come back since this time I will not be there for long and I want to enjoy the island as much as possible.

However there is something I do not miss at all: the prices. Living in Utila is waaaaaaaaaay cheaper. Just to give an example, today I went to a small supermarket to buy a few things I needed: 2 litres of orange juice, 4 candles, 5 avocados, a huge packet of Oreos (the one that has 3 dozens of them...), 1 lb of very good cheese and 1 litre of soy milk: USD 8. Clearly is more expensive than other cities in Honduras but much cheaper than our island. And yes, everything is brought from the cities "in the continent" to here too, however the prices don't double or triple. Different policies I guess.

Well, now I go to watch a movie (if the satellite works...or in my laptop) and then to bed since tomorrow Richard's winds will wake me up really early I guess.
And I will see you all really soon. One week more of training, then a bit of Miami and I will be back in Grand Turk.
xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment